Mayor Patrick J. Furey
Pat Furey was elected Mayor of Torrance in 2014. As mayor, he is the chair of both the State and Federal Advocacy Committees for the city.
In a regional leadership role, Pat serves as the chair of the Los Angeles County City Selection Committee and the chair of two local Los Angeles County Sanitation District Boards.
Prior to being elected mayor, Pat served as an elected member of the Torrance City Council for six years.
While on the Council, he was Chair of the Community Planning and Design Committee and as a member of the Employee Relations and Public Safety Committee, the Finance and Government Operations Committee, the Armed Forces Day Committee, and the Federal Legislative Advocacy Committee.
In addition, Pat is a Past President and voting delegate to the West Vector Control District of LA County and a former alternate voting delegate to the Torrance Sister City Association. He also served as the appointed City of Torrance representative to the Palos Verdes Landfill Citizen Advisory Committee where he served as Vice-Chair.
Pat earned an associate in arts degree in Journalism at El Camino College in 1984. Pat was honored in 2011 with the El Camino College Distinguished Alumni Award.
In 1986, Pat graduated with honors from the UCLA Attorney Assistant Training Program and was employed as a legal assistant for nine years. His education culminated with the juris doctor degree that was conferred on him in 1995 by the University of West Los Angeles.
Just prior to being elected mayor, Pat retired after almost two decades of service to the County of Los Angeles as a Principal Deputy County Counsel assigned to the Children’s Services Division. Pat spent more than 10 years as a supervising attorney at the Edelman Children’s Court in Monterey Park. He finished his service as a training and advice counsel to the Department of Children and Family Services.￼
Pat also served four terms as president of the Torrance Education Foundation. In 2007, Pat and his wife Terry were the recipients of the James R. Armstrong Community Leadership Award in recognition of their contributions to Torrance schools and the community. In addition, they are both past recipients of the Honorary Service Award presented by the Parent Teachers Association for their service to our schools.
Pat was also the President of the North Torrance Homeowners Association for more than eight years. As president, he advocated for residents of North Torrance in matters before the Torrance City Council, Torrance Planning Commission, Torrance Parks & Recreation Commission, and Torrance Traffic Commission.
In addition, Pat served two terms as a Torrance Civil Service Commissioner, including one year as the chair of the commission. He also served on Mayor Frank Scotto’s Blue Ribbon Committee on Ethics and Integrity.
In his spare time, Pat has been a dedicated volunteer to Little League Baseball, District 27, for 30 years. In this volunteer position, he has officiated as an umpire in more than 1,000 games at Little League facilities throughout the Southern California area – including all of the leagues located in Torrance.
Pat also served for more than 10 years as a volunteer Boy Scout Leader. He was a Den Leader and Committee Chair for Cub Scout Pack 948. He also served as a Troop Committee Member for Boy Scout Troops 242 and 592, and was a merit badge counselor for the South Bay District of BSA for Law, Journalism and Fingerprinting.
He was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. After high school, Pat fulfilled his military obligation as an infantry soldier in the United States Army. And he served five years as a police officer in Philadelphia, before moving to Southern California in 1973.
Pat and Terry are the proud parents of two grown children who attended TUSD public schools and grandparents of seven, with one on the way!
– Occupation: Retired Child Abuse Prosecutor, Los Angeles County
– Torrance Mayor, elected 2014
– Torrance City Councilmember, elected in 2008, re-elected in 2012
– 2011 El Camino College Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient
– 2007 James R. Armstrong Community Leadership Award Recipient
– 2006 Torrance Council of PTA’s Honorary Service Award Recipient
– Former Chair, Community Planning and Design Committee
– Former Member, Armed Forces Day Committee
– Former Member, Employee Relations and Government Safety Committee
– Former Member, Finance and Government Operations Committee
– Former member, Citizen Development and Enrichment Committee
– Former member, Strategic Plan Committee
– Former Member, 2010-2011 Ad Hoc Federal Legislative Advocacy Committee
– Past-President and Voting Delegate, West Vector Control District of Los Angeles County
– Past Alternate Voting Delegate, Sister City Association
– Board Member & Former President (4 terms), Torrance Education Foundation (10+ years)
– Former President North Torrance Homeowners Association (8 years)
– Former Chair, TUSD Personnel Commission
– Former member, Torrance Blue Ribbon Committee on Ethics & Integrity
– Former Torrance Civil Service Commissioner (2 terms)
– Little League Volunteer Umpire
– 25+ years – Cub Scout Volunteer
– Pack 948 – Boy Scout Volunteer
– Troops 592 & 242
– Former Police Officer
– US Army Veteran